Notice: register_sidebar was called incorrectly. No id was set in the arguments array for the "Sidebar 1" sidebar. Defaulting to "sidebar-1". Manually set the id to "sidebar-1" to silence this notice and keep existing sidebar content. Please see Debugging in WordPress for more information. (This message was added in version 4.2.0.) in /home/tline/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 4667
Our Garage - Timberline Homestead

Priming T1-11 on the garage

Our Garage No Comments »

As most are aware we replaced t1-11 on our garage.. I guess I should say add more T1-11 to the garage 🙂

The T1-11 we used was primed, however since this side gets sun all day in summer and most of the day in winter I decided I wanted to make sure it was extra coated!

Today we added 2 coats of Killz2 primer to the t1 11 siding.

It’s hard to tell in the picture since it got shady toward the end but the white is blinding!

From the bottom up about 1 foot we also put on a 3rd coat to make sure we had an even lower chance of moisture penetration.

This week is supposed to be sunny so I will leave the tarp off the door, and finish up the trim, and then paint the entire side with our Valspar exterior paint.

Parking next to garage

Our Garage No Comments »

The area next to the garage always has had a narrow flat walk way, and a small gradual hill to the flat area about 4′ higher. This area is pretty useless for storing anything bigger than a couple trash cans, or a work bench. Even the ATVs were too big to park alongside this area, and to get them around back had to drive up the hill, and then back down. Luckily the Kubota M59 tractor was about to change this!

This is the original picture. It’s somewhat misleading as it gives the idea that you could pull next to the garage if you were careful. The area is not nearly wide enough, and the slope picks up more than it looks since the ground is actually sloped more than the leaves would make it seem!

Getting the tractor in there to start doing work was going to be tough, and would require starting out with the backhoe to move dirt.

I actually started from the backside of the garage since I have plans to make a storage shed off the back of the garage, and getting the tractor to it even from the back access road was going to be interesting too!

This is a picture from the front of the garage looking back, just like the above original shots. The dirt pile that is barely visible in the back left is from leveling out behind the garage. All the dirt from this area was moved elsewhere. Surprisingly it was a LOT of dirt.

As it is seen now my kubota M59 tractor can park next to the garage, and I’ve even gotten my Ford F250 4 Door short bed next there too!

The biggest issue now is the entrance, and the pine tree (that is not going anywhere).

Stay tuned for updates 🙂

Replacing T1-11 on the garage

Our Garage 1 Comment »

The garage probably has the original paint, and original T1 11 siding on it from 1985 and was maybe fixed up once or twice since. Needless to say it needed repair!

What started out with plans to sand, and re-paint the garage quickly turned into removing the old siding and replacing it with new siding.

This plan quickly faded when more than 75% of the nails were cracking off, or the heads were completely bending making it impossible to efficiently remove them, and the siding.  To add more problems to the mix the siding was actually tucked up behind the gutter 4″! This would require the gutter to be removed which was is impossible without destorying the first line of shingles due to the extra nails, hangers, and how it was installed.

New plan, use plenty of caulking, clean up the old paint, and lay the new siding on-top the old siding.

This of course was not without new problems such as correct overlap on the front and back of the garage, and making sure the new siding was sucked up flat against the old siding, and that all the edges were caulked as extra security from preventing moisture from finding its way between the panels. We also decided to use the pre-primed t1 11 siding since it was supposed to rain the next day, this helped us out too since the backside was also primed now too.

6 or so panels later, minor framing inside/around the windows, numerous nails, and wood screws coming out of the senco screw gun we were done!

The front and rear trim adjustment for overlap was not bad, and looks great! Looking at it now no one would ever  know it was doubled up.

The only thing left is to trim the door, prime (again), and paint.

The tarp was added to prevent any moisture from getting around the door, even though it was caulked a lot w/out the trim we are not taking any chances.