Vinca Major, Periwinkle

I have so many dreams of a green, lush, landscaped, flower garden and so many things standing in the way. The soil is hard clay, zero rain fall during the hot summer months, freezing temperatures and plenty of snow fall in the winter and most importantly our conscious effort to use as little well water on non edible plants as possible.
During our backyard clean-up, which is an on going and  seemingly never ending project,  we discovered lush patches of what turned out to be Vinca Major, commonly known as Periwinkle. This large variety of the Vinca has thrived to say the least in the natural conditions so we decided to roll with it.


We have never watered this fantastic ground cover and yet it rambles on, so much so that we occasionally have to cut it back. This paired with our ignorance of the plant led to a poisoning of the dear husband during his clean up with a weed whacker. He wore no mask and ingested  bits of the plant and its juice. As a bit of time passed he had an overwhelming feeling of nausea and dizziness.
Alarmed, I got online and read through our plant books to learn that Vinca Major is indeed poisonous and is used for medicinal purposes. We followed up with poison control and nursed him back to normalcy and all ended well. We have no small children or animals to worry about a future poisoning and the dog is uninterested so the plant stays.
A word of caution: dont hack freely at this plant without protection and do not let animals eat it.


About Rhi

Rhi enjoys spending time with her family and working on the homestead. During spring and summer she is often found tending to her garden, and mini-orchard.

Check Also

What’s Happening in the Garden July 18

While doing some work on the recent bean project, I snapped some pictures of our …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.